13006 GIS and Road Traffic Planning
|GIS og vejtrafikplanlægning|
|Taught under open university|
(lectures in E3A and exercises in E3B)
Scope and form:
Work with GIS under supervising and with overview lectures. The course focuses on a case, where a large road project in the Copenhagen Region of your own choice is coded and evaluated
Duration of Course:
Date of examination:
Alternative date agreed with the teachers|
Type of assessment:
Not applicable together with:
General course objectives:
The purpose is to provide an overview of the functionality in Geograpical Information Systems (GIS) to be used as a tool in the advanced courses at DTU Transport. Different modules in ArcGIS are introduced. Furthermore the purpose is to learn the basic planning process for road project assessments and use this to calculate impacts and evaluate a major road project.
|A student who has met the objectives of the course will be able to:|
- Carry out a need assessment for a road project and based on that to specify the project
- Motivate and choose a suitable road alignment and design
- Estimate construction costs
- Carry out a route choice and traffic assignment, explain and interpret the results
- Carry out a quality control of results from an assignment model
- Calculate induced traffic and interpret the results
- Calculate impacts, describe and interpret the results
- Carry out an analysis of accessibility and mobility and illustrate these in GIS-maps
- Complete a cost-benefit analysis of a road project and interpret the results
- Write a technical report
- Use to produce simple maps to illustrate and analyze data and results
- Present own work/project orally and discuss it with the audience
Introduction to Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and Arc GIS. Data modeling and design of geodatabases. Use of ArcMap and ArcCatalog and Net Work Analyst. Editing in ArcMap and Access.
Coding and traffic impact assessments of a road project in the Copenhagen Region after own choice. This includes specifying the project, overall need assessments, choosing the road alignment and estimating the construction costs, coding of the project, route choice and traffic assignment and quality control of this, calculating induced traffic, traffic impacts (pollution, accidents), accessibility and mobility analysis and cost-benefit analysis.
Guidance in technical report writing according to DTU Transport's guidelines.
Microsoft Access 2003 - Step by Step from MicrosoftPress. Online ESRI documents & Tutorial.
The course assumes a work effort of 280 hours as mentioned in the study rules
Green challenge participation:
Please contact the teacher for information on whether this course gives the student the opportunity to prepare a project that may participate in DTU´s Study Conference on sustainability, climate technology, and the environment (GRØN DYST). More information
|, 109A, (+45) 4525 1514,
, 115, 043, (+45) 4525 1540,
|13 Department of Transport|
Registration Sign up:
|At CampusNet, As campusnet|
|ArcGIS, GIS, network models, roadproject evaluation, traffic assignment|
November 8, 2012|
See course in DTU Course base